FAITH AND WORKS
         "THE BASIS OF CHRISTIANITY"
    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11vs 1).
There are many definitions of faith but this, for me, supercedes all. This verse tells us how Faith substantiates promises of God which we hope for. I also believe that faith can be very much associated with hope.
         I have realized in my life that faith is beginning,basis, foundation of Christianity. The fact that we are all able to agree that there is a God we are serving even without seeing him,the belief that he created all there is, the belief that he's coming back soon, without faith these are merely thoughts.
        I was the kind of person that felt faith is unimportant. I used to tell God ''just do it when you do it I'll have faith". I didn't understand the role faith played,I didn't realize my faith could move mountains. Many of us don't realize that faith is the password to God's blessings,His promises. God has to see our faith before He can do anything.
        The Bible verse (Hebrews 11vs1) sheds light on faith. I have read this verse several times but when I actually took my time to process it ,I realized the weight of the words. For me,the verse says that faith is that thing that should be there when we ask God for something. No matter how long it takes,our faith must be firm,no matter how great the tribulation we must believe and have faith in God.
         There was a time in my life that I felt faith was too difficult to maintain. I thought just tell God to do something and he would do it. Then I would wait and wait doing nothing  but expecting something happen. I am sure am not the only one guilty of this. When I went into the word of God, I realized how lazy, immature I was. In the book of James chapter 2,I found out that FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD. How true this is. I thought about it, trying to put myself in God's place, how would I be able to give something to someone who asked once and didn't even try to prove he deserves it.
         Then I decided to really analyse the story of Abraham, the man who was referred to as the "Father of Faith". While reading I felt challenged , asking myself over and over if I could do what he did. In Genesis 12, God told Abraham:
           "Get thee out of thy country and from thy kindred and from thy father's house,unto a land that I will shew thee"
Abraham departed without asking God  questions or complaining. He didn't start asking about the place,his family,his house, this man just moved having faith in God and his promises. Thereby putting his faith to work. He decided to follow blindly.
         Sometimes God wants us to do the same, no questions asked, just have faith that he will lead you safely. If Abraham had decided to stay back then God's promises to him would have been useless then he would have never become the Father of all nations. It will definitely be frustrating and you will be tempted to give up and lose faith. Why should we lose faith, who knows the kind of blessings God has prepared for us.
        "God never said that the journey would be easy, but he did say that the arrival would be worthwhile"- Max Lucado.
     This is really true, the Bible is filled with blessings and promises but God never mentioned that we wouldn't face challenges. Challenges will come but they shall not overcome us. If challenges don't come, we wouldn't need God. Challenges are how our faith in God is strengthened. But our faith also needs works to be strengthened, we need to pray. We need to remind God of his promises in all situations and problems.
         "Let God's promises shine on your problems"-Corrie ten boom.
Do not just expect miracles because of your faith. Think about a student who has an exam, has faith but doesn't read, a woman who is barren but refuses to help other people's children but has faith. Put yourself in God's place, would you answer their prayers? I certainly would not.
So why should we expect God to answer such.
We Need to prove our faith.
        If you want to be a Christian, you need to have faith in God from the beginning. How can you say you want to follow someone you don't trust. Our faith must be in God and God alone. Do not ever trust man for anything. This mistake cost me a whole year. I decided to trust in my good result and man for my admission despite the fact that God had given success in all my exams. I should have told God that He promised to be with me every step of the way Instead I started hoping someone would help me. How people disappoint. Are you trusting man for anything, STOP IT! Have faith in God and Him only. Show him that you have faith in  Him by justifying your faith with your works. I decided to put my faith in God, I took another jamb, and by his grace I got the admission without paying anyone. And yet some people doubt God's ability.
        I have realized that one of the reasons we find it hard to have faith is that we do not understand God's plans for our lives. He knows the past, present and future. This is why our prayers take a while to be answered. He is preparing us for the perfect time. Isaiah 40 vs 28 the last sentence says:
       "His understanding no one can fathom".
We cannot know more than the one that created all. No one has God's wisdom so just trust him. When you see people getting answers to their prayers,do one thing,have faith that He will do yours. Do not envy but be Faithful.
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts