TAKING A BREAK


       It’s been a crazy week. For the first time ever, I think, I experienced my first writers block, not sure if that’s what it’s called but I experienced it. I couldn’t write anything, so most times I would just take my laptop and stare at it for like thirty minutes or an hour. Sometimes I would type then erase, this was how I spent my writing time for the past week. The ideas were not coming. This made me think if I couldn’t write anymore.
        Luckily for me, there is this senior in my department that writes amazingly well and has been doing it for quite sometime, I decided to ask him if this was normal, you know, as a novice to an expert. He told me to take a break, and during that break find out why I couldn’t write, honestly I didn’t know how to do the second part, not that I told him that ………, but hey! who doesn’t like a break. We all need breaks at one point or the other even if it’s a short one. So, that’s how I took an involuntary break, I say involuntary because I couldn’t even type a sentence without erasing even if I tried.
      And that’s how I took my first break o, normally when a person takes a break, shouldn’t it be filled with vacations, movies and fun stuffs like they do in movies and then call it “FINDING YOUR INNER WRITER”? Well mine was filled with assignments and Panadol. Which brings me back to the fact that I took a break from writing and just writing not academics. So after the one week break stuff o, I found out why I couldn’t write. *drum rolls please*………. The reason was……………………………………. I just had my heart broken, my first heartbreak. I actually thought I would be the one breaking hearts but oh well, no one can predict the future except seers, witches and other things you should run away from cause that’s just scary. Imagine this. You meet this cute guy and you introduce him to your friends and one friend is like, ”You are going to regret this, he will break your heart” and she says this in Anabelle’s voice even though I’m not sure if Anabelle had a voice, and does this with like four of your boyfriends. anyways I have decided to commit suicide and this is my goodbye.
                         GOODBYE WORLD!!!
          And I’m back. Just kidding. Don’t mind my drama, just really excited to be back after a week.     *cue eye roll*. The real reason……. I was overwhelmed. You know, the new system, the lecturers, the impromptu classes, it all seemed too much. I was trying to balance things out. That’s it, no heartbreak, even though I do wonder how that would feel, no suicidal thoughts, I mean like seriously, who that one help? The break, though short, really helped me to gather thoughts and slow things down. I was moving too fast. The senior made me realize that I needed a break and I never realized. 
          Let’s be honest with each other, some of us don’t realize that we need breaks. And how do we know we need breaks?
You know you need a break when you no longer work with your schedule, that’s if you are someone that has a schedule. At this point you start joggling whatever you are doing. You don’t follow the plan. You just do it as it comes. This makes you overwhelmed because they just keep coming. Along the line, you’ll get frustrated with everything. Everything feels like it’s throwing itself at you. At this point you need a break.
Not a long one like seven months or a year. I don’t mean those weird finding yourself thing and backpacking all around that world for a year but if you have the money please take me with you. It could be for a day or week or month. Just stop for a minute and look beyond that thing that seems to be clouding your thoughts. it doesn’t have to be writing, it could be anything. At this point I would mention some things like academics, work maybe family life, vacations and that sort of thing but these things have times you can take a break. You can’t say you want to take a break a week to the exam or you want to leave the office when you are not on leave.
          In cases like these, you could slow things down. Work at a sensible pace at least up on till the time you are allowed to take a break.
 Then just lay down and relax.
Tell me how that works out for you in the comment section, don’t forget to like and share.
 About the senior, just go straight to Irewolesblog.com and be impressed.

Comments

  1. I try writing at times and I experience what you also experienced,I just leave it and go for a walk,....ehhhnn (clears throat), I don't end up writing it. I could take a page out of your book.😊

    Beautiful write up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really nice my baby...keep soaring the world ain't seen u yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool work
    Keep it up
    I'll consider taking a break

    ReplyDelete
  4. 😢comman be my mentor I love ur work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts